Monday, June 6, 2016

Remembering my Sushine

Many write about losing their baby so precious and sweet,
About the sorrow it brings, their heart no longer complete.

I hear songs about those who didn’t get to say goodbye,
Leaving many still confused, continually asking God, why?

Some parents never got the chance to hold their child,
Never experiencing a cry, a late night feeding, or when they first smiled.

Although my heart will never be whole,
I know you are still with me in soul.

I was fortunate enough to hear you cry,
“Incompatible with life” were the words you would defy.

If that were the case, you could not have breathed in a breath of air,
To not give you the gift of life would have been so unfair.

I enjoyed getting up to feed you at night,
Now, my memories of you I’m enticed to write.

It was when you were sleeping I saw your first smile,
Every little moment spent, proved all worthwhile.

I feel blessed to have spent your last moments with you,
Even though I knew, I was hoping you’d still pull through.

You looked me in the eyes after I kissed your little head,
It was a Saturday morning, about 6 am, we were lying in bed.

It was then I told you I loved you and it was ok for you to go,
You were waiting for the right moment, this I know.

You tried your best, you wanted to hold on,
You are my little hero, you showed me the meaning of being strong.

I remember rocking your lifeless little body in my arms that day,
Singing you our song….Please don’t take my Sunshine away….

Your memory is engraved forever in my heart,
Everything about you, my priceless piece of art.

Your name is tattooed forever on my wrist,
I’m sure you know, you will be eternally missed.

There’s not a day that goes by that you are not in thought,
More importantly are the lessons that you taught.

I really learned everything happens for a reason,
No matter the time, the rhyme, or the season.

I’ve learned not to judge a person by their cover,
If you take the time, their lives not so easy, you can discover.

I know God sent down a little angel to me,
The only rule: her stay was no guarantee.

I understand everyone’s loss is not the same,
Our feelings, lost in tears, sometimes hard to contain.

In the end, there are one of two choices to make,
We can choose to be depressed and be overcome by heartache

Or another option, different than the one above,
I chose to tell the story about my daughter, who I am so proud of.

So to my precious angel, my sunshine in the sky,
I hope you know Momma loves you, and will always be nearby.


-Written with love by Selina Perez






No comments:

Post a Comment