Monday, June 6, 2016

In a heartbeat

I remember hearing the soothing, swooshing sound,
At that moment, an in-explainable love was found.

The first time I heard your heart beat in my tummy,
I was overwhelmed with excitement to be picked as your mommy.

A miracle of life, you were already perfection,
As a smile formed upon my face upon that instant connection.

Nothing else matters in that moment of time,
All I can think of is that beating heart- that baby, is mine.

Every month looking forward to hearing that beautiful song,
A strong beat, with no indication that something was wrong.

When you came into this world you were perfect to me,
Even though the doctors said your heart was weak, I had to disagree.

I placed my hand day upon day on your little chest, 
Everyday your heart continued to beat, we were beyond blessed.

There were a few scares, a few times you had stopped breathing,
But laying our head upon your little body to listen- your heart was still beating.

Your heart was growing weaker as days went by,
The beating growing more shallow, I can no longer deny.

It's been 7 1/2 days and our song has slowly come to fade,
The beating of your heart, that soothing, swooshing sound, in my head is replayed.

I would give my life for you...in a heartbeat. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment